Shortcut Wonton Soup with Spinach — an all ALDI recipe
How about a Shortcut Wonton Soup with Spinach recipe today in honor of Lunar New Year? This savory soup may also be in honor of the special buy Fusia potstickers I picked up at ALDI last week… as we take advantage of some seasonal Finds in this all ALDI recipe for a cold winter’s day.
ALDI seasonal ingredients today include:
- Frozen Fusia potstickers
- Sesame oil
- Powdered ginger
All are worth stocking up on when available, though! Everything else in this recipe is easily found year-round at your local store.
Even though I used frozen potstickers today, I’m going with wonton soup here. That’s what it tastes like, and potsticker soup doesn’t sound quite right, does it? Yes, the potstickers are bigger than wontons would be — but the kids surely didn’t mind. 🙂
This recipe was inspired by Sarah from the Almost All ALDI Facebook group, who made her batch of soup with Fusia mini wontons. I used potstickers in mine because I’d already picked up a bag, then added spinach for a pop of extra nutrition, color and flavor. (Use the mini wontons in yours instead if you prefer; this is a simple shortcut recipe, so, you say potato, I say po-potsticker.)
Shortcut Wonton Soup with Spinach
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 16 oz frozen potstickers or wontons
- 3 oz fresh spinach
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, top green part only
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat while you slice the onion.
- Add the onion to the pot and saute for two minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and saute briefly.
- Stir in the chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger, and crushed red pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Add the frozen potstickers to the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for seven minutes, or until potstickers are cooked through.
- While the potstickers are simmering, chop up your green onions.
- Stir in the spinach, sesame oil, and green onion.
- Simmer for two more minutes on medium-low to wilt the spinach, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup hot.
Discard the sauce packet from the potstickers, or save for later use. I used pork potstickers in my soup; substitute chicken if you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
That’s an easy 20 minute wonton soup recipe
This soup was so good that Middle School Guy couldn’t stop eating it! Using frozen potstickers or wontons dramatically cuts the prep time here, so you need just 20 minutes to get this easy weeknight dinner recipe on the table. Shortcut wonton soup was especially savory and satisfying on this cold January evening in Chicago, so take advantage of the Fusia potstickers while they’re still available — and I’ll remind you again, the next time they roll around in stores.
More ALDI Recipes?
And of course, you can always find free weekly ALDI meal plans using these recipes here.