Chipotle Cheddar at ALDI — A review and a grilled cheese recipe!
It’s a review AND a recipe today — because how can you really judge a new food without trying it in context, right?
A little ALDI Deli Sliced Chipotle Cheddar review
Well, as I mentioned in this week’s ALDI Finds roundup, ALDI in their infinite wisdom just released Happy Farms Preferred chipotle cheddar deli cheese slices as a special buy. You get 10 slices in 8 oz for $2.89, so these are a bit more pricey than their everyday deli cheese slices.
But how could I not try this cheese, I ask you? Luckily, ALDI’s Happy Farms Preferred chipotle cheddar cheese does not disappoint: The medium heat level rating on the packaging here is about right; the cheese has a bit of a smoky kick, but isn’t burningly hot.
This cheese is better on something than by itself, so try it with crackers, on any sandwich to add a little extra oomph, or (as I did here today) to elevate your next grilled cheese. It melts nicely, and retains its lovely chipotle flavor.
A little Happy Farms Preferred Chipotle Cheddar Cheese recipe
I decided it would be fun to combine the limited time ALDI chipotle cheddar cheese with my old milder stand-by Havarti in creating these most awesome grilled cheese sandwiches for Middle School Guy and myself. This all ALDI recipe requires just four ingredients, and we enjoyed ours with a little fruit for a fantastic lunch.
ALDI Chipotle Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
You just need a few ALDI ingredients for this simple lunch recipe: Spreadable butter, deli sliced Havarti, deli sliced Chipotle Cheddar, and Turano pane Italian bread.
Just use one slice of Havarti and one slice of Chipotle Cheddar on each sandwich for the perfect mildly + medium spicy combination, tearing them to fit the bread.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as Middle School Guy and I did, and do be sure to get over to ALDI to pick up your own Chipotle Cheddar before this ALDI Find is gone from stores!
- 2 large slices pane Italian bread
- butter, to taste
- 2 slices Havarti
- 2 slices Chipotle Cheddar
- Turn the heat to medium under a large skillet.
- Butter one large slice of pane Italian bread, then cut it in half.
- Place each half butter side down in the heated skillet.
- Add one slide of Havarti and one slice of Chipotle Cheddar to each piece of bread, tearing it to fit.
- Butter the other piece of bread and cut it in half.
- Top your grilled cheese with that second piece, butter side up.
- Cook grilled cheese over medium heat for about five minutes a side, until nicely browned.
I used large pieces of bread from the middle of the loaf here. If using smaller bread, simply adjust the amount of cheese proportionately to fit.