Affordable Halloween Pumpkins at ALDI! (Plus, roasted pumpkin seeds)
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, where I may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
ALDI is simply the best place to pick up affordable Halloween pumpkins every October! Note that sometimes you do have to dig through the bins for the bigger and more beautiful pumpkins, and they tend to get picked over by the end of each weekend. Try visiting your local ALDI earlier on a weekday morning for the best selection.
Affordable Halloween pumpkins at ALDI
Prices vary across the country, but our beautifully large pumpkins here ran $2.89 apiece in the Chicago area. Some areas have apparently seen sales as low as $1.99, so see what Halloween pumpkins are running at your own local ALDI store this year.
I went the EASY route this October, using a cat pumpkin decorating kit… yes, also from ALDI! Middle School Guy absconded with the paint out of the kit before I could paint her black, but I think she’s pretty cute anyway.
Middle School Guy also went easy this year, choosing to use a poster marker Sharpie to draw the character from Among Us. This means that I learned about Among Us, so I guess that our pumpkins this year were somewhat educational? (College Kid said “Oh, the Among Us guy!” So I’m probably the last to know about this game…)
How to make pumpkin seeds
After you carve your ALDI pumpkins this year, be sure to save and roast the seeds for a seasonally festive fall treat! Middle School Guy looks forward to these every year.
These are fun to make with kids; let them help scoop out the pumpkin and separate the seeds from the pumpkin goo. (Although you may wish to save the giant knife for older cooks, such as Middle School Guy here.)
Here’s an easy-peasy roasted pumpkin seeds recipe:
- Seeds from one large pumpkin, rinsed
- Olive oil, to coat
- Seasonings of choice, to taste -- we used sea salt, smoked paprika, and garlic powder here
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut the top off of your pumpkin, and pull out all of the seeds and pulp. Discard the pulp (or save it to make something else!), and rinse the seeds.
- Pat the seeds dry, then toss with olive oil and spices to taste. (Here, we used a combination of sea salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.)
- Spread the seasoned pumpkin seeds out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast at 300 degrees for 45 minutes or until browned and crispy, stirring halfway through.
- Let cool just slightly, and enjoy warm!
You'll want to use enough oil and seasonings to coat the seeds nicely, but the exact amount will depend on the amount you're roasting. Roasting the pumpkin seeds low and slow helps them stay crispy without burning.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you get your Halloween pumpkins at ALDI this year?
Every year, I’m surprised by the size and loveliness of the affordable pumpkins at ALDI — so much cheaper than at my local major grocery chain, but of excellent quality! I might actually go back and get a couple more… and no, it’s not only because I’m sad that our roasted pumpkin seeds are gone now. 🙂